Voice of the Customer/Net Promoter® Score best practice implementation
Understanding how to constantly listen to customers and then take targeted action becomes more complex as a company grows. The Service Profit Chain Institute helps clients design customer listening and closed loop management processes based on the best practices of companies that deliver a world class customer service experience.
This model for implementation ensures that the focus of measurement is firmly grounded in the constant improvement and innovation around the customer experience – using the Net Promoter® Score as the rallying cry for the organization.
The key benefits of the Net Promoter® Score include:
- It becomes a single measure of customer service performance that every person in the organization can understand;
- Increased alignment between functions and product groups around the common opportunities that exist to increase number of happy customers who are promoters for a business and reduce the number of customers who are detractors;
- Broad involvement by multiple stakeholders in the organization: front line employees as well as cross-functional teams – to drive both shorter term operational improvements as well as longer term structural changes on behalf of customers, employees and shareholders; and,
- Customer research moves from an annual study, ‘rear-view mirror’ review of performance, to a rich and often real-time operational tool for measuring and taking action on things that create competitive advantage in tangible ways that customers can see and feel.
The dimensions of the model include:
- Leadership alignment: Before launching such an initiative, senior leadership must embrace Net Promoter Score as central to their strategy and mission for the organization. These practices define what must be in place before moving forward, including the economic case for increasing the number of promoter customers and reducing the number of detractors.
- Program governance: Any program of this importance requires some planning and organization. These practices define the program management elements required to ensure the implementation activities are well managed and carefully planned using a sequencing strategy that has proven successful with other organizations.
- Measurement, analysis & reporting: At the center of implementing a branded customer experience is how we measure a company’s performance at key touch points in the experience. These practices define how to approach this critical element of the model as the basis for most of the other dimensions that will drive our operational improvement focus.
- Enrolling & equipping the organization: This essential aspect of our work balances the right mix of push versus pull change strategies to prepare an organization to embrace the new approach to measurement and equip them in taking action to improve the customer experience.
- Action & accountability: Defining who will take what action (based on a set of business rules) from customer feedback represents a key activity in the program. This dimension defines some of the most important steps and approaches to this element of the program.
- Driving innovation: Finally, over time, the work of deeply and consistently listening to customers through the Net Promoter® Score System leads to getting into relationships with groups of customers, classified as promoters, passive and detractors – that will help guide innovation opportunities. These practices include how to leverage the Net Promoter Score System with social media and other tools to help drive innovation.
These dimensions form the foundation for an implementation strategy that ensures the customer measurement system is well grounded in the operational aspects of the client’s business. Listening to customers only matters if specific action is taken based on their feedback. This plan ensures that customer feedback generates improvements that fall right to the bottom line.
Trademark information: Net Promoter Score, Net Promoter and NPS are trademarks of Bain & Company, Satmetrix Systems and Fred Reichheld.
Free Tools and Assessments
This web-based self-assessment is based on a sub-set of the Best Practices of leading Service Profit Chain companies. Assessment results will be produced immediately upon completion. MORE
A powerful, research-based system that dramatically improves customer satisfaction and loyalty. Learn strategy, management practices and customer service tactics to out-perform your competitors. MORE
THE OWNERSHIP QUOTIENT
Hundreds of large organizations around the world have used the groundbreaking Service Profit Chain to improve business performance. Now The Ownership Quotient reveals the next generation of the chain: customer and employee "owners"
of your business. MORE
THE CULTURE CYCLE
Discover how organizational culture evolves, how it can be shaped and sustained, how it fosters innovation, promotes survival in tough times and influences the success of global strategies. MORE